Review: Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

I've always wanted to try out this particular product; however the high price tag holds me back. Good thing a friend swapped it for me.

So I finally have it (not one, but two):



Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder (a mouthful!) promises to hydrate this skin continuously with its unique formulation of gold, amino acids plus other minerals and the exclusive goji berry complexthat work together to perfect the skin. I got both shades, fair and light, because I'm not sure if my skin can match just one shade.



left - Fair, right - Light

Fair is kind of a neutral shade, and it's not really pink; it's still yellow, and the Light shade is obviously darker and much more yellow than Fair. When swatched, though, both are quite sheer and show up lighter on skin.


L-R: Light, Fair
Coverage, for me, is sheer, but can be built up to medium, depending on the brush that I use. I know some people say that this is more of a finishing powder rather than a full-on foundation. Well, it can work that way because Halo gives a very glowy, lit-from-within look. I allow it to set for a few minutes and it gives a beautiful, glowy, no-makeup finish. I use it alone, though, and it works as a foundation for me. I use a dense brush or a kabuki to apply this one and it can cover up minor redness or dark spots. It cannot cover pimples though. And it has a tendency to emphasize pores, so I use a pore refiner/minimizer treatment underneath. It feels light on the skin and and even though I am oily, it did not aggravate my oily skin. I have to blot after a few hours ofcourse, but that's just normal, considering that it does not really have oil-control properties. What I like about this is that it makes my skin look healthy, and the powder does not cake. Staying power is good too, with minor touch ups. I mix both shades and it matches my skin quite well.



I have no issues with the packaging too. I think it's pretty convenient because the "shaver' allows me to shave off the right amount of product that I need to use. And a little goes a long way, so I know I won't be running out of Halo anytime soon!

As for the anti-aging properties, I cannot really vouch for that, though after a few minutes, the powder really settles on skin and it does blur imperfections, including fine lines and wrinkles.

I really like this product because I can use it for that no-makeup look, because it feels light, gives enough coverage, and makes me look dewy, not flat-matte. I think this works for people with relatively good skin as it does not give full coverage at all. For some, they can use it as finishing powder.

pros:

- sheer-to-medium coverage
- versatile; can work as foundation or as finishing powder
- feels light on the skin
- gives a dewy finish, looks like you have healthy skin
- blurs imperfections

cons:

- emphasizes pores
- does not control oil
- expensive




Comments

Popular Posts