Quick Review: Ellana Sheer Velvet HD Mineral Finishing Powder

Photo courtesy of Ellana website.

Brand: Ellana Minerals
price: Php 380 for 6g

I have tried Ellana around 2-3 years ago and I was pleased with their mmu, particularly their foundations and finishing powders. But this is the first time i tried this supposedly HD powder because I wanted a translucent finishing powder that can set my makeup and control oil. Plus it's way cheaper than its high-end counterparts like MUFE HD powder or MAC Prep+prime transparent finishing powder.

What I liked:

The powder is white but goes on translucent when applied.  It left my face matte as soon as I dusted it using my powder brush. Also, my skin felt smooth to the touch, because of the silica in it.

What I didn't like:

Well, sure my face was smooth, but the texture of the powder is not soft---because it isn't really powder like talc, it's more like cornstarch... also, the matte finish lasted 3-4 hours on me---tops. I had to blot again afterwards. So, no oil control for me. And whenever I dust it on my face, I get a little bit worried because I end up inhaling it or something---it's so finely milled that it just gets into my nose! I never had an experience like that before--- and I have tried a couple of other 'finely-milled' powders. Also, I use very little of the product---but still the same effect.

All in all this would probably work for girls with normal-to-combination skin, because it did not control my oil at all. I was expecting a much better formulation with this one since it was labeled as HD, but sadly, it fell short of my expectations. I  understand that Ellana has a new version of this powder primer, where they "upgraded' the formula, adding kaolin clay...I have yet to try that, but I'm gonna have to pass with this one.

Comments

Popular Posts